Sunday, May 22, 2011

Armageddon It

Been very busy as of late. Working over 60 hours a week plus finals. But now that school is done for a few months, I should have time to blog more often.

Randy "Macho Man" Savage

I'll start of this blog on a sad note: the untimely passing of pro wrestling star Randy "Macho Man" Savage. In proof that you never know when your time will come, Savage apparently had a hear attack while driving, resulting in an automobile accident. He was 58 years old.

He is not the first wrestling star to die too young (Curt Henning, Rick Rude, etc.) But this one is the biggest loss of them all. While I no longer follow pro wrestling, I watched it at a regular basis in the 1980's and 1990's. He was one of the biggest stars of that era. First emerging in the WWF, he quickly became one of the biggest stars in the company. He would also wrestle for WCW and TNA. Lets us not forget about the Slim Jim commercials. What I most remember about him was what a great entertainer he was. Whether he was a face (good guy) of heel (bad guy) Savage always did a good job playing his role and performing in the ring. He will be missed. But there's no denying the Savage is one of the all time wrestling greats.


The Rapture That Did Not Happen

Back in January, I posted a blog on Poets and Madmen about end of the world predictions, past and present. I also spent a portion of the blog talking about the apocalyptic predictions for yesterday made by California based evangelist Harold Camping. Camping's prediction was two pronged. He predicted that the Rapture would occur on May 21, 2011 followed by Armageddon five months later on October 21. Well May 21 came and went and The Rapture did not happen.

I was confident that Camping's prediction would not come true. Why? The vast history of missed end of the world predictions. Also, Camping himself was responsible for one of those missed predictions, back in 1994. I wish I could bet on football games in the same way and matter I can predict the outcome of end of the world predictions.

I do consider myself to be a Christian. I very much believe in God. I even think that a Biblical type Apocalypse described in the Book of Revelations is possible. But I'm dismissive of those who claim to know the exact date of the end of the world. The Bible itself says no one knows the day or hour of the end of the world (Matthew 24: 35-36). That verse alone tells me that anyone who claims to know the exact day of Armageddon is probably a B.S. artist.

Then there's those who actually believed Camping's predictions. Some gathered outside of his Oakland headquarters of Family Radio International. Others drained their savings accounts. It'll be interesting to see how Camping explains away this. He blamed his missed 1994 prediction on a mathematical error. If there is a hell after you die, I'm sure there's a part of it reserved for charlatans like Harald Camping. But we are not done with end of the world predictions. More are on the way. December 21, 2012 is not too far away.



No comments:

Post a Comment